UPDATE: I ran across an interesting quiz in the latest Runner's World magazine (March 1991) to help you evaluate your diet in terms of fat and cholesterol content. Answer each question, then add up the numbers from in front of each answer for the total score. A score of 19 or below means that you probably meet the guidelines of the National Cholesterol Education Program's Step-One diet. If 20 or higher, work on reducing the fours and threes to reach a more healthful level of fat and cholesterol.- How many ounces of meat, fish or poultry do you usually eat per day?
1. I do not eat meat, fish or poultry.2. I eat 3 ounces or less.
3. I eat 4 to 6 ounces.
4. I eat 7 or more ounces.
Note: 3 ounces\ one regular hamburger, half a chicken breast, 2 or 3 slices of lunch meat, etc.- How much cheese do you eat per week?
1. I avoid cheese altogether.
2. I eat only low-fat cheeses or cottage cheese.
3. I eat whole-milk cheese (cheddar, Swiss, Monterey Jack) once or twice a week.- How often do you eat lunch meat, hot dogs, corned beef, spareribs, sausage, bacon, liverwurst or liver?
1. I do not eat any of these meats.
2. I eat them about once a week.
3. I eat them about two to four times per week.
4. I eat more than four servings per week.- How many commercially baked goods (cake, cookies, coffee cake, sweet rolls, doughnuts) and how much ice cream do you eat?
1. I avoid baked goods and ice cream.
2. I eat baked goods or ice cream once a week.
3. I eat baked goods or ice cream two to four times per week.
4. I eat baked goods or ice cream more than four times per week.- How often do you eat snack foods such as chips, fries or party crackers?
1. I avoid these snack foods.
2. I eat one serving of these snacks per week.
3. I eat these snacks two to four times per week.
4. I eat these snacks four or more times per week.HEALTHFUL LIFESTYLE GOALS
Exercise: Maintain aerobic exercise at 30 minutes a day. Increase abdominal curls to 25. Keep doing modified pushups.
Diet: Eliminate foods high in salt such as potato chips, processed meats and other processed foods.