Day one of the state 4-A boys' basketball tournament produced one mild upset and several superb performances at the University of Utah Huntsman Center. Orem defeated Alta 67-57 in the tourney's second game, but all three of the other favorites won first-round games.

Perhaps the most exciting contest was Timpview's 68-65 victory over Brighton. The Bengals are always considered a threat at state, but the T-Birds held off a last-second Bengal charge to prevail and advance to Monday's second round against talented Viewmont. Here's a look at Thursday's first-round games:Viewmont 49 Taylorsville 41

The Region 1 champion Vikings used a stingy defense and clutch free throw shooting down the stretch to drop the pesky Warriors. Viewmont started the game by taking a quick 11-2 lead, as Andy Jensen scored 10 points in the opening six minutes. Taylorsville's Dave Gylling kept the Warriors close by scoring nine of his team's 11 second-quarter points, and all four of its field goals, but the Vikes led 26-17 at halftime.

Jensen led the Vikes with 16, Brad Bodily scored nine and Hynek seven. Taylorsville got 16 from Gylling and 10 from Jeff Jenson. The Vikes shot 52 percent to Taylorville's 37 percent.

Timpview 68 Brighton 65

To illustrate how close this game was, the lead changed a dozen times in the first half alone as the T-Birds eventually advanced. Brighton trailed 33-32 at halftime but held a 51-50 lead entering the fourth quarter. Timpview started that period by continuing a 14-2 run it had begun in the third quarter, and the T-Birds seemed to take command with a 59-53 advantage.

Brighton's Derrick Welling responded with back-to-back hoops, and the Bengals got even closer when a pair of Mike Enger free throws cut Timpview's advantage to 63-62 with 3:29 left.

Ryan Olson scored for the T-Birds, and a free throw by teammate Brad Jones pushed the lead to 66-62, but Brighton's Alex Fisher swished a three-pointer with 27 seconds left to give the Bengals hope. Timpview iced the win when Olson sank both ends of a one-and-one with 13 seconds to go, and then watched as Jones blocked a last-second Bengal attempt.

Richard Jackson led Timpview with 21 points. Brighton received 21 points from Fisher, 18 from Welling and 12 from Enger.

Orem 67 Alta 57

Cameron Johnson scored 16 points and Brian Rasmussen 15 to pace a quartet in double figures, as the Tigers shot 72 percent in the first half to build a 10-point lead over the Hawks.

Alta's Ryan Bills, who finished with a game-high 20 points, sparked a 12-4 run to start the second half, and the Hawks used a pesky press to draw to within two points in the third period and to within one several times in the final quarter.

Hillcrest 61 Clearfield 46

Trailing 23-16 in the second period, the second-ranked Huskies went on a 12-0 run to finish the first half with a 28-23 lead, as Brian Kellogg scored the first eight points of the surge.

Hillcrest, which had five players in double figures paced by John Owen's 16, extended its advantage with an 8-1 spurt to finish the third quarter. Clearfield was led by Joe Berrera with 10 points.