A fire that caused $4,000 damage to a Salt Lake business Monday night started after rags soaked with linseed oil spontaneously ignited.

"Any animal or vegetable-based oil will break down and release heat, and the rags just hold the heat until they burst into flames," Salt Lake County Fire Lt. Dennis Steadman said.The chemical breakdown is a common cause of residential fires, Steadman said. Homeowners should store rags that have animal or vegetable based oil on them in metal containers or rinse them throughly with water after use.

He said many household products, including furniture polishes and cooking oil, are vegetable or animal based.

The Monday night blaze at American Racing, 565 W. 3560 South, destroyed a magazine rack and wall.

Firefighters doused the flames before they reached the custom wheel business's warehouse.