The Utah Emergency Medical Training Council will honor nine Utahns who put first-aid training to good use, saving lives.

More than 25,680 students were trained during the current school year, with a total of 133,916 since the program began in 1982-83. A grant from the Utah Department of Health is combined with private donations to support the program.The students receiving awards this year are:

Joshua Jorgensen, Emery High School, who used the Heimlich maneuver to save his father's life when he began choking on a piece of meat.

Andrea Wright, Kearns High School, was working in West Jordan Care Center when a patient started choking. Andrea performed the Heimlich maneuver, saving her life. In another incident, a cerebral palsy patient choked on food and Andrew again used her training to avert a tragedy.

Robert Anderson, Granger High School graduate, was serving a mission for the LDS Church in Equador when his training was called into use. He saved the life of a small child when a metal pole with which she was playing hit a power line, throwing her into convulsions. Anderson used cardiopulmonary resuscitation until the child could be taken to a hospital.

Annalee Jenkins, Alta High School, was baby sitting when a 5-year-old child began choking and turning blue. She administered back blows and an object popped from the child's mouth. She then calmed the girl and helped her regain normal respirations.

Amber K. Kershaw, Cyprus High School, found another teenager curled up on the floor and unconscious. She started rescue breathing until the victim began breathing on her own.

Garth Smith, Murray High School, was cleaning tables at a fast-food store when a customer choked on a chicken bone. He administered the Heimlich Maneuver and dislodged the bone.

Cory Pond, Mountain View High School, was present when his mother choked on some cereal. The Heimlich procedure helped dislodge the constriction in her throat, allowing her to breathe again.

Chad Baird, Grantsville High School, was driving down a road with friends when one of them began to choke on a mouthful of candy. He stopped his truck and used the procedure to remove the candy so his companion could breathe.

Suzanne Millburn, Viewmont High School, was rocking a toddler when the child vomitted and inhaled a small piece of macaroni and began to choke. Suzanne used the techniques she had learned by watching a video in school to save the baby's life.

Paramedic Instructor Doug Benson also is being honored for using the Heimlich maneuver to save a life.