A brief look at the matchups of No. 1 vs. No. 2 since 1980:

No. 1 North Carolina 82, No. 2 Kentucky 69, at East Rutherford, N.J., Dec. 26, 1981.The Tar Heels, who would go on to win the national championship, broke the game open early in the second half and were led by James Worthy's 26 points while Sam Perkins and Michael Jordan had 21 each. Charles Hurt led Kentucky with 18 points and 10 rebounds.

No. 1 North Carolina 65, No. 2 Virginia 60, at Chapel Hill, N.C., Jan. 9, 1982.

The Tar Heels held off their second runner-up challenge of the season by making 10 of 10 free throws over the final 2:32. Worthy again led a balanced attack with 17 points, while Ralph Sampson's 30-point effort wasn't enough for the Cavaliers.

No. 1 Houston 94, No. 2 Louisville 81, at Albuquerque, N.M., April 2, 1983.

This game was considered to be for the national championship but it became the forgotten semifinal in North Carolina State's improbable title run. The game was played above the rim with Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma prevailing, led by Akeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler with 21 points apiece. Milt Wagner led the Cardinals with 24 points.

No. 1 Georgetown 77, No. 2 DePaul 57, at Landover, Md., Dec. 15, 1984.

The first of three of these games for the defending champion Hoyas on the way to a shocking championship game loss to Villanova. Georgetown broke it open early, leading by 18 in the first half. Patrick Ewing had 15 points and 15 rebounds for Georgetown, while the Blue Demons, who shot just 32 percent, were led by Tyrone Corbin's 13 points.

No. 2 Georgetown 85, No. 1 St. John's 69, at New York, Feb. 27, 1985.

The Hoyas and Redmen would meet again at Madison Square Garden in 10 days with the poll positions reversed. Ewing scored 20 points, had nine rebounds and six blocked shots and sophomore Reggie Williams added 25 points as the Hoyas evened the season series. Chris Mullin scored a frustrating 21 points against a box-and-1.

No. 1 Georgetown 92, No. 2 St. John's 80, at New York, March 9, 1985.

This was for the Big East championship and was also not the last time the teams met as they hooked up again in the Final Four. Ewing was limited to 18 minutes because of foul trouble and the game was marred by a fight between Williams and Ron Rowan of St. John's. There were five technical fouls called - two on each coach - and the Hoyas' balance won out as Michael Jackson led five players in double figures. Mullin had 25 points, only six in the second half.

No. 1 North Carolina 78, No. 2 Georgia Tech 77, OT, at Atlanta, Feb. 4, 1986.

North Carolina trailed by 13 points with 12 minutes to play and rallied behind center Brad Daugherty, who scored 22 points. Both teams had chances to win at the end of regulation, but Mark Price missed a 15-footer for Georgia Tech and Kenny Smith and Jeff Lebo missed jumpers for the Tar Heels. Tommy Hammonds led the Yellow Jackets with 16 points.

No. 2 Missouri 77, No. 1 Kansas 71, at Lawrence, Kan., Feb. 13, 1990.

Anthony Peeler led an outside shooting assault for the Tigers with 22 points. The win gave Missouri a sweep of the season series in a year when being first in the Big Eight also meant being No. 1 in the nation. Mark Randall led the Jayhawks with 15 points.

No. 1 Oklahoma 95, No. 2 Kansas 77, at Kansas City, Mo., March 10, 1990.

This was to get to the championship game of the Big Eight tournament and the Sooners won the title the next day by beating Colorado. Oklahoma shot 63 percent for the game while frustrating the Jayhawks with a zone which brought about 31 percent shooting in the second half. Skeeter Henry led Oklahoma with 24 points, while Jeff Gueldner topped Kansas with 21, 15 from 3-point range.