Three finalists in each of 12 categories of Zions First National Bank's Up 'N Comers program have been announced by Roy W. Simmons, bank chairman of the board, and Jazz basketball player Karl Malone, who does commercials for the bank.
On Feb. 26 in Little America, Debbie Fields, co-owner of Mrs. Fields Cookies, and Malone will announce the winners in the program that honors Utah's most promising under-40 professionals whose career achievements and community involvement already are recognized by their peers and competitors.Simmons said the bank received more than 300 nominations this year.
The finalists and their categories are:
- Architecture/Engineering, Carol W. Hunter, Utah Power & Light Co.; Thomas W. Johnson, Eckhoff, Watson and Preator Engineering; and M. Louis Ulrich, FFKR Architecture.
- Business, R. Lane Beattie, Lane Realty; Kirk R. Nelson, US WEST Communications; and Bruce O. Palenske, Little Caesars Pizza.
- Construction/Manufacturing, Richard D. Clayton, Geneva Steel; Roger J. Knight, Knight Brothers Construction; and Jeffrey Keith Utley, Flying J Refinery.
- Finance, Barbara S. Gittins, Utah System of Higher Education; Scott W. Pickett, Coopers and Lybrand; and Jeff K. Thredgold, Keycorp.
- Arts and Leisure, Betty Jo Blayden, Murdock Travel; Gerald Ellas, Utah Symphony; and Kirk Muspratt, Utah Symphony.
- Communications, Alene E. Bentley, Intermountain Consumer Power Association; Kevin Bischoff, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Utah; and Ken Verdoia, KUED-TV.
- Education, Dianna Elainna Hesleph, Granite School District; Joyce Kinkead, University of Utah; and Scott Matheson Jr., University of Utah Law School.
- Government, Rep. H. Craig Moody, R-Sandy; Lt. Gov. W. Val Oveson; and D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, South Salt Lake City.
- High Technology, Robert W. Mendenhall, Wicat Inc.; D. Keith Wilson, Dynix Inc.; and Gary L. Crocker, Research Industries Corp.
- Medicine/Dental/Health Services, Kenneth N. Buchi, U. of U. School of Medicine; Dr. Lewis B. Hancock, private practice; and Dr. Scott A. Leckman, private practice.
- Law, Jerry D. Fenn, the law firm of Snow, Christensen and Martineau; 3rd Circuit Judge Michael L. Hutchings; and Jane A. Marquardt, the law firm of Marquardt, Hasenyager & Custen.
- Non-profit, Carl R. Albrecht, Garkane Power Association Inc.; Bernadette Martine Astorga, The Turning Point Program; and L. Scotti Davis, Utah Chapter of National Prevention of Child Abuse.
Although tickets will be sold to the dinner, the cost of the dinner will be underwritten by Zions. All revenue will be donated to the Travelers Aid Society Homeless Shelter. Reservations can be made by calling 524-4634 or 328-8899.