Two animals died and two others were implicated in two separate Salt Lake County house fires Tuesday afternoon.

No one was home at 3450 S. Westwood Drive (3700 East) when a light bulb in the home's garage apparently ignited a cardboard lampshade. The light had been strung to keep a pair of Husky puppies warm in the cardboard box they used for a bed.A passerby reported the fire about 1:30 p.m., and firefighters had it under control 15 minutes later, but the two puppies died in the fire, said Lt. Dennis Steadman, county fire department spokesman.

The fire caused about $10,000 damage to the garage and house, owned by Phillip McCullin, Steadman said.

The second house to catch fire Tuesday was the home of Chris Iverson at 5974 S. Ginger St. (2900 West), Bennion.

Iverson wasn't at home, but her two cats and two dogs were, Steadman said. Apparently, the fire started when food left on the stove ignited, possibly after the cats - who were known to run around on the stove surface - depressed the range's control buttons.

The fire, also called in by a passerby, was under control by 2:20 p.m., just six minutes after firefighters arrived, Steadman said. A neighbor reportedly kicked out a basement window after the passerby made the call, and one of Iverson's dogs escaped. The other stayed inside, unhurt despite the heavy smoke, which caused an estimated $8,000 damage to the home.

Firefighters found no trace of the cats.