Cooler weather, less wind and somewhat higher humidity helped in firefighting efforts around the state Tuesday and early Wednesday.

Winds tapered off in many areas because of a cool front that moved across the state. The high was only 85 degrees Tuesday at Salt Lake International Airport, and temperatures in the low 90s were expected Wednesday in the Salt Lake metropolitan area, said William J. Alder, meteorologist in charge of the Salt Lake office of the National Weather Service.Robert Reyos of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Roosevelt, said a fire burned 1,166 acres on the Ute reservation in eastern Utah before it was extinguished Tuesday evening.

At least 40 firefighters from the Bureau of Land Management and Ashley National Forest worked to quell the blaze, which Sunday resulted in the evacuation for about six hours of White-rocks, Uintah County, residents. No damage or injuries were reported in the blaze, which was controlled Monday during a steady drizzle and overcast skies.

Officials suspect the fire was man-caused, but that is still under investigation, Reyos said Wednesday.

Elsewhere, three 20-person crews were taken off a stubborn blaze Tuesday near Smith and

Morehouse Reservoir. Some were sent to fires in Wyoming and other states, said J.R. Davis, a dispatcher for the Interagency Fire Center in Salt Lake City.

The Summit County fire consumed 50 acres before crews built lines around the flames, said Wasatch National Forest spokeswoman Kathy Jo Pollock.

Davis said a 600-acre fire near Causey Reservoir in Ogden Canyon was contained Monday evening but was still burning Wednesday morning.

"Crews are being released. It's now just a matter of mopping up. At the height of the fire Monday evening and early Tuesday, five 20-person crews, two bulldozers, four engine trucks and a dozen miscellaneous fire management personnel were out on the blaze," Davis said.

As of Wednesday morning, most of the crews on this fire, which began Saturday on the Deseret Land and Livestock Co. ranch, are from Oregon, but personnel from the Utah Division of Lands and Forestry and crews from Weber County and Woodruff, Rich County, also have been involved.

"Fires aren't behaving as they normally do, because it has been so dry (this summer). We ended up having to order a total of five crews for that particular fire," Davis said.

More aerial assaults were planned Wednesday by an Idaho-based helicopter on a fire on the backside of Farmington Canyon in Morgan County. This fire consumed about 70 acres.

A 20-person crew from the Weber Basin Job Corps Center was to be dispatched Wednesday to that blaze, which is burning in extremely steep terrain.

"It is difficult to get any people into the fire," Davis said.

About 50 firefighters, including a 10-person strike team from Utah County, were still out on a fire Wednesday morning near Porcupine Dam in Cache County.

Firefighting efforts on this blaze have been hampered by "crazy winds," Pollock said.

Wayne M. Hunt, a Bureau of Land Management dispatcher in Cedar City, said fire crews were checking Wednesday to make sure a fire that burned about 305 acres of oak brush and grass about 35 miles northwest of St. George was out.

Hunt said all crews had been pulled off the fire, located on BLM and Forest Service property.