Two prosecutors who quit the investigation of the massacre of six Jesuit priests - murders linked to an elite army unit - had complained that the rightist government and military obstructed the probe.

Attorney General Roberto Mendoza told a news conference Tuesday the men had left the case and resigned their positions "to dedicate themselves to the free practice of their profession."He denied they had been subject to pressures or death threats in the sensitive case.

But reliable judicial sources said Alvaro Campos and Edward Blanco resigned to protest senior officials' handling of their probe into the 1989 murders, which by all accounts were carried out by an elite army unit.