A fire that apparently began near a gas dryer in the basement of an east-side home Sunday night caused about $5,000 damage.

Salt Lake County firefighters responded to the blaze at 1536 E. 3010 South at 7:42 p.m. and extinguished it within eight minutes, said Lt. Dennis Steadman.One person was inside the home at the time of the fire but escaped without injury, Steadman said. The homeowner's identity was not available.

"The resident indicated that he saw flames in the area of the dryer, and it appears that the fire started there, but the exact cause is still under investigation," Steadman said.

The fire spread into the basement's ceiling, forcing firefighters to rip much of it down in order to reach the flames. Steadman said the house sustained some smoke damage as well.