The following food safety tips are from the test kitchens of the Beef Industry Council of the Meat Board:
FOOD SAFETY TIPS- Wash hands thoroughly with hot soapy water before starting any meal preparation.
- To defrost, place frozen meat in plastic bags and put in a cold (36-40 degrees F) refrigerator. Allow 4 to 7 hours per pound for a large roast; 3 to 5 hours per pound for a small roast; 12 to 14 hours for a 1-inch thick steak.
- Quick defrosting can be done in the microwave oven according to manufacturer's directions; cook immediately.
- Never defrost frozen meat on the kitchen counter.
- Roasts should be at refrigerator temperature when they are put in the oven.
- Use plastic cutting boards for cutting meat and other foods, washing in hot soapy water after each use.