Firefighters battled both fire and bitter cold in a blaze that damaged a Salt Lake home late Saturday.

Salt Lake City fire crews arrived just after 9:00 p.m. to find fire on the top floor of the home at 660 S. 500 East, said Salt Lake Fire Capt. Gene Warr. The two people in the house reported hearing crackling and popping and seeing smoke before they called for the firefighters, said Warr.Crews fought the blaze in near-zero temperatures. Warr said the cold causes some problems for firefighters.

"When we have cold like this we worry about our pumps freezing up," said Warr. The pumps are kept turning even when not pumping so that heat from internal friction will keep them from freezing.

Officials suspect the cause of the fire was electrical. Damage was estimated at $5,000. No one was injured.