A fire at Roman Gardens Apartments, 450 N. 1060 East, caused $5,000 damage to flooring between two apartments Thursday afternoon.

W.W. Christensen, a maintenance worker at the three-story apartment complex, was taken to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, where he was treated for smoke inhalation and released."In the process of making sure everyone got out before the Fire Department got there, he got too much smoke," Provo Fire Capt. Ken Reid said.

The fire started around 2:25 p.m. when hot solder being used to repair broken water pipes in a shower in a third-floor apartment dripped onto wood flooring. The fire spread to a utility space between the second and third floors.

Provo Fire Stations 1, 2 and 3 responded to the scene and were able to quickly put out the blaze.

"If it had gotten in the attic (a common attic that runs the length of the building of approximately 150 apartments) it would have done severe damage to the whole building," Reid said. "We probably would not have had enough manpower with everyone we had on shift."