Many special activities are available in Colonial Williamsburg. Here are a few:
- Illumination of the palace green. A narrated illumination of houses, shops and public buildings on the palace green is held at approximately 6:30 p.m. at least five nights in December. A market square illumination and a Governor's Palace illumination are held on alternate nights.- Decorating workshops are held regularly focusing on the greens and home decorations seen in the city.
- A Royal Palace Ball is held on Dec. 21 and Jan. 1.
- Special Christmas tours will be given throughout the holidays.
- Short theatrical productions are scheduled daily, longer productions are scheduled for evenings.
- Fife and drum marches are held, weather permitting, at 12 noon.
- Special opportunities to photograph the Royal Palace, Carter's Grove and other significant buildings and sights in the Williamsburg area are held during December.
- Ushering in the New Year, a New Year's Eve dinner/dance is held at the Commonwealth Hall, Williamsburg Lodge and other sites throughout Colonial Williamsburg.
- Other information regarding programs, tickets and dining events can be obtained by calling Monday thru Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., eastern time, (804) 220-7368. Lodging and package plan reservations can be made by calling 1-800-HISTORY.