KSL (AM-1160) has a large collection of special programs for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Here's a rundown on the highlights:Christmas Eve:
6 p.m. - LDS Church First Presidency Christmas Devotional; 7-10 p.m. - "Music for Christmas Eve;" 10 p.m. - Mormon Tabernacle Christmas Concert; 11:30 p.m. - CBS Cavalcade of Christmas Music and the University of Utah A Capella Choir.
Midnight-1:30 a.m. - Midnight Mass from the Cathedral of the Madeleine (live); 1:30 a.m.: CBS Nightwatch (in progress); 2-5 a.m. - Larry King Show; 5 a.m. - CBS News; 5:06 a.m. - "First Light on NBC Radio;" 6 a.m. - CBS World News Roundup and local news; 6:30 a.m. - Utah Symphony Christmas Concert; 8 a.m. - Mormon Youth Symphony Christmas Concert; 9 a.m. - CBS News; 9:06 a.m. - The Christmas Story with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
9:30 a.m. - Christmas music; 9:45 a.m. - Blue-Gray Football Classic; 1 p.m. - CBS News; 1:06 p.m. - Charles Osgood; 1:10 p.m. - Aloha Bowl; 4:40 p.m. - KSL Christmas music; 5 p.m. - Oratorio Society's "The Messiah;" 7 p.m. - CBS News; 7:06 p.m. "Here We Come A-Caroling;" 7:30 p.m. - CBS Cavalcade of Christmas Music (University of Montana); 7:55 p.m. - KSL News; 8 p.m. - Return to regular programming.
- KSL is also now broadcasting its "Metro Business Report," with Fred Ball from the Salt Lake Area Chamber of Commerce three days a week - Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 7:22 a.m. and 3:20 p.m.
The station also recently started "First Light . . . On NBC Radio," a special blend of hard news and entertainment features, complete with listener call-ins. The program airs weekdays from 5-6 a.m.
- KSFI (FM-100.3) - The station's 10th annual "100 Hours of Christmas Music" begins Friday, Dec. 21, 8 p.m. and continues until Dec. 25 at midnight. This is commercial free music with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Bing Crosby, Anne Murray, Kenny Rogers and many others.
- KQOL (FM-106.5) - will air a "Festival of Christmas Music," starting Saturday, Dec. 22, at 6 p.m. and continuing through Christmas night with commercial-free holiday music.
- KUER (FM-90.1) has a variety of Christmas and year-end specials coming up during the next week. Among the highlights are:
- "Coming Home to the Bronx," a memory pierce by "All Things Considered" host Lynn Neary, will air Saturday, Dec. 22, 4 p.m.
- "Jazz from the Manchester Craftsmen's Guild" will be broadcast Saturday, Dec. 22, 9-10 p.m., with the John Blake.
- A "Jazz Piano Christmas" airs Dec. 25, 9-10 p.m. on KUER.
- "A Child's Christmas in Wales" be will be broadcast Christmas Day at 11 a.m. (This show was originally recorded on Feb. 22, 1952.)
- "Susan Stamberg's Bing Crosby Special" will air Tuesday, Dec. 25, 4 p.m.
- "The Play of Herod," a medieval musical drama about the birth of Christ, will be on KUER, Dec. 27, 9 a.m.
- Gene Pack presents Pablo Casals' "El Pessebre," Dec. 28, 9 a.m.
- Howard Berkes reports on the 100th anniversary of Wounded Knee," Dec. 28, 4 p.m. Part 2 will air on Dec. 29, also at 4 p.m.
- KBYU (FM-89.1) will air "A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols," Dec. 24, live, at 8 a.m. and rebroadcast the same show at 9 p.m.
- It will broadcast `Christmas Oratorio," Monday, Dec. 24, 6 p.m.; "Glad Tidings at 9:30 a.m. Dec. 24 and again at 7 p.m. on Christmas Day. "The Christmas Story" will be broadcast at 10:30 p.m., Dec. 24 on KBYU and "Messiah" airs Dec. 25 at 1 p.m.
- KBYU will also air a trio of programs, "Readings for the Season," Dec. 23, 24 and 25 at 5:30 p.m. daily. The shows will feature Christmas stories for listeners of all ages.