A barking dog saved the day for a West Jordan family by warning them about a fire early Friday morning.

Vahoi Kauvaka, 1394 W. 7125 South, woke up just before 4 a.m. and got out of bed to see what was bothering Spikey, the family dog. She looked out the window and saw flames in the carport. She then got her husband, brother and children up and all were able to get out of the house safely, said West Jordan Fire Lt. Reed Scharman.The fire was apparently caused by a cigarette left by Kauvaka's brother who came home about midnight and had been smoking on a couch stored in the carport, Scharman said.

Gusting winds spread the fire to a second couch, then to vehicles parked on both sides of the furniture. The carport and a pickup truck were destroyed and the second vehicle damaged. The loss was estimated at $4,000, Scharman said.

Firefighters were able to respond quickly from a fire station less than one mile away after Kauvaka called the department. The fire was controlled in a matter of minutes, Scharman said.