Firefighters check for hot spots after dousing a fire that caused between $30,000 and $50,000 damage Wednesday to a west-side steel drum refinishing business. The fire started about 6:42 p.m. in a wood-frame garage at Beehive Barrel and Drum, 1052 S. Redwood Road, according to Salt Lake Fire Battalion Chief Gary Maxfield. The business cleans and repaints used steel drums. An employee, James Ashmore, said he and two others were using a cutting torch when sparks ignited paint products in a ventilated paint booth. "We were cutting off a bolt with a cutting torch, and it caught the garage on fire," Ashmore said. "Within 30 seconds it was blazing." Some 24 firefighters, four engines and two trucks responded to the two-alarm blaze. Officials feared that hazardous residue in the barrels could be harmful. A hazardous materials team found no danger, Maxfield said. Firefighters mounted the roof and were finally able to extinguish a plume of flames spouting from the paint booth vent.