A pet cockatiel's terrified shrieks awakened a mother and her four children, enabling them to escape their burning mobile home. The tropical bird died.

Sabra Stewart, 26, and her youngsters got out with only the clothes they were wearing. She said Thursday they lost everything including $300 in Christmas cash.Stewart was asleep on the couch in the living room with her 9-month-old son Saturday, when she heard an ear-piercing shriek from Kid, one of her four caged birds. The living room wall was on fire, apparently ignited by a faulty electrical wire.

Stewart grabbed her son, woke her daughters, ages 4, 7 and 9, and they all ran out the back door of the rented trailer.

The four birds perished in the fire.