A high school basketball game was canceled Friday night when the joints of natural gas pipes feeding one of the school's boilers leaked, allowing the gas to backdraft into the gymnasium.

Salt Lake County firefighters responded to a call at Cottonwood High School about 7:45 p.m., along with Mountain Fuel officials. The leak occurred in the joints of pipes leading to the No. 2 boiler. The joints were taped and the boiler room was ventilated, said Glade Briggs, Salt Lake County deputy fire marshal.The backdraft occurred because the school has an underground service tunnel system, Briggs said. The boilers will be kept going to keep the building heated until Saturday, he said.

The cancellation came with two minutes and 30 seconds left in the first quarter in a preseason game against Layton High.