About 55 people were evacuated from a downtown hotel Thursday morning after fire broke out in a restaurant below.

The blaze began in the kitchen of The Star of India Restaurant on the corner of 200 East and 200 South just after 10 a.m. Firefighters were able to extinguish it within a few minutes."It was mostly a nuisance fire because the smoke got up into the hotel," said Salt Lake Fire Battalion Chief Gordon Nicholl. The occupants of the Stratford Hotel, 169 E. 200 South, were allowed back into the building about 45 minutes later.

No injuries were reported and damage was minimal.

"It smells like it was food on the stove," said Nicholl. The dry chemical fire system above the restaurant's stoves went off during the fire. No one was in the restaurant at the time of the fire.