The Oratorio Society of Utah will present its 75th annual "Messiah" on Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 15 and 16, at 8 p.m. in the Tabernacle on Temple Square.
Crawford Gates will conduct the chorus of 250 (prepared by Morris Lee) and the Utah Symphony Chamber Orchestra, with Ricklen Nobis, harpsichord, and Nick Norton, baroque trumpet. Soloists for the evening will be soprano JoAnn Ottley, contralto Doris Brunatti, tenor Dave Arnold and baritone David Power.Crawford Gates is currently professor emeritus and artist in residence at Beloit College in Wisconsin. He has conducted the Beloit-Janesville Symphony since 1966, and directed the Rockford (Ill.) Symphony 1970-86. Before 1966, he was chairman of music at Brigham Young University and active in Utah choral and symphonic music. Gates is a prolific composer, with more than 100 published works. Two of his major orchestral/choral works have been recorded by the Utah Symphony and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
JoAnn Ottley has appeared frequently with the Utah Symphony and Utah Opera, throughout America and abroad, often as soloist with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. She most recently performed "Carmina Burana" with Ballet West, and a Brahms Requiem with the Tulsa Philharmonic.
Doris Brunatti has sung in oratorio, concert and opera, with the Utah, Edmonton, and Jerusalem symphonies and Utah Opera Company, and has filled engagements in Las Vegas, Denver and New York.
Dave Arnold has been a regular soloist with the Utah Opera Company since 1979, appearing in more than 40 productions. He also sings with the Las Vegas Nevada Opera Theatre.
David Power, equally at home in opera and recital, has appeared locally with the Utah Opera, Utah Symphony, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and with Ballet West in its recent "Carmina Burana." He is head of voice performance and opera at the University of Utah.
Tickets at $5, $8 and $10 are available through the Symphony Hall Box Office and Smith'sTix. A reception in honor of the society's 75th anniversary will be held following Sunday's performance in the Inn at Temple Square. Tickets are $10.
- THE SOUTH DAVIS COMMUNITY CHOIR, Kenneth Jones conducting, will sing its annual "Messiah" this evening at 8 p.m. in the Woods Cross High School auditorium. Admission is free, and children over 8 are welcome.
A chamber orchestra will accompany the choir and soloists Carol Nelson, soprano; Mary Westcott, alto; Mark Olsen, tenor; and Richard Milius, bass.
- HOLLADAY NORTH STAKE, 4395 Albright, today at 7 p.m. Robert Borden will conduct, with sopranos Laurel Aposhian and Mary Billeter, alto Jane Wiggins, tenor Terence McCombs, and bass Reed Coombs. Some scores provided. Free.
- ENSIGN STAKE, 18th Avenue, today at 7:30 p.m., Beryl Smiley conducting, instrumental ensemble. Blanche Christensen, soprano; Susan Cook, alto; Roger Summerhays, tenor; and Merrill Wilson, bass. Bring scores, free.
- OGDEN TABERNACLE, today at 7:30 p.m., Daniel Martino conducting, with soprano Evelyn Harris, alto Marsha Bowman, tenor Hans Flink, bass Ronald Wooden. Free, bring scores.
- MIDVALE, MIDVALE EAST & Midvale North Stakes Combined Choirs and Orchestra, Midvale North Stake Center, 465 E. Sixth Ave., Midvale, this evening at 8, Free.
- AMERICAN WEST Symphony & Chorus, Union Middle School, Saturday, Dec. 15, at 7:30 p.m. Terrell Lamoreaux conducting; Victoria Morris, soprano; Martha West, alto; Richard Torgerson, tenor; and Eric Glissmeyer, bass. Bring scores, $5.