A faulty extension cord on a Christmas tree is suspected of starting a 2 a.m. fire that sent two Salt Lake residents diving out a window to escape the heat and smoke.

A man living at 1184 N. 1500 West became alarmed when his dogs in the next room began to bark. "He opened the bedroom door, and it was so hot he ended up diving out the window," said Salt Lake fire Capt. Roger Stroud.A friend at the house also escaped through the window along with the two dogs. Firefighters rescued a boa constrictor from inside the house after they arrived. The fire department is withholding both men's names at their request.

The fire burned the tree and part of a couch and caused from $15,000 to $20,000 damage, Stroud said.