A woman who claimed she was kidnapped and raped made up the story to cover her 24-day disappearance that apparently included a tryst with a Utah bus driver, police said Friday.

"The story that Donna Oh told us was a false one. There was no kidnap. There was no rape," Police Captain Phil Doran. "As far as were concerned, there was no crime, and this incident is closed."Oh, 35, continued to stand by her claim that she was a victim of crime, but Doran said police and FBI authorities are convinced she's lying. And a Salt Lake bus driver who police believe spent several days with Oh during her disappearance said she didn't indicate she had been attacked.

"She said she was on vacation," Greyhound bus driver Rick Davidson said in a telephone interview from his home. "We spent time together, and I care about her a lot. I fell in love with her and hope to see her again."

Davidson said he planned to try to contact Oh "after this is all over," even though he said he was shocked that she told police she was kidnapped and raped while she was apparently touring three Western states. His story gave weight to a police theory that Oh had made up her abduction tale.

Davidson, 33, said Oh used her maiden name, Wilson, while she accompanied Davidson on his nightly 450-mile Salt Lake City to Cheyenne, Wyo., bus route from Nov. 3 through Nov. 7. He contacted the news media and police about Oh after he saw a television broadcast Thursday about her reappearance.

Police believe the single mother of two decided to "drop out" of sight when she disappeared Nov. 2, and that she met up with the bus driver and others as she traveled through California, Utah and Wyoming. She also stayed at several homeless shelters.

When confronted with the police theory, "Her reaction was still one of denial," Doran said. " . . . This is a woman who needs help."

Authorities rejected Oh's story - which has changed several times - that she was abducted by two white men in their 20s to 40s after her car broke down near a Berkeley movie theater. She told police the men assaulted her and held her four days while traveling through California. She didn't contact police because the kidnappers made threats against her two daughters, 12 and 19, she said.

Oh's family released a statement Thursday saying it would not be making any other comments or statements "regarding Donna's abduction or her reunification with us."

On Friday, Oh changed details of her story once more. In a statement read by her ex-husband, Larry Fernandes, Oh said the two men who abducted her actually released her in San Francisco on the same night that she disappeared. She then got a bus ticket to Boston and, during a stop in Salt Lake City, met a sympathetic bus driver - Davidson - "who knew she was traumatized, somehow." She agreed that the two traveled between Salt Lake City and Cheyenne, Wyo., for several days until she went to Los Angeles.

"She did not leave her children. She did not walk away," Fernandes said. "She was raped. We want everyone to know that."

Davidson said Oh told him she was headed for a Boston funeral but changed her mind and instead went to Los Angeles for "an audition." A few days later, she called, saying things were not going well, and she was returning to Salt Lake City.

On Nov. 26, Oh called an ambulance to a Salt Lake City motel, and she was taken to a hospital where she was treated for non-specified minor injuries.

A hospital nurse recognized Oh's name and notified police, ending the investigation into her disappearance but opening the probe into her story.

Police plan to turn the case over to the Alameda County district attorney's office to determine if Oh should be charged with filing a false police report, a misdemeanor that carries a maximum 6-month jail sentence.