About 150 people who had gathered for a volleyball tournament were evacuated from an LDS Church stake center Tuesday night after someone apparently started a fire in a large plastic trash can in a restroom.

Fire inspectors suspect arson in the small fire that started about 6 p.m. at 4845 S. Woodhaven Drive (1365 West) in Taylorsville. Witnesses said two boys ran from the building about the same time the fire started.Smoke was coming from the front of the building when firefighters arrived, but some of the people inside had managed to extinguish the blaze with hand-held fire extinguishers, said county fire spokesman Lt. Dennis Steadman.

The smoke was extremely toxic, he said.

One 9-year-old boy who suffered minor smoke inhalation was taken to an area hospital by his parents. Battalion Chief Dave Limberg said the boy did not need emergency treatment.

The fire caused about $1,500 in damage, Limberg said.