A home said to have been built by Mormon pioneer church leader Heber C. Kimball was damaged by fire Tuesday afternoon.

In addition, a church and two apartment complexes were also damaged in three separate fires.Neighbors who spotted smoke and flames coming from the house at 545 N. Pugsley in Rose Park called the fire department at 2:33 p.m. Firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof to stop the blaze that gutted the living room and kitchen of the house, said Battalion Chief Gordon Nicholl.

The occupant, Wilma Mijangos, was at work when the fire started. She told firefighters the house was built by Kimball for one of his sons. Damage to the home is estimated at $20,000, and one of Mijangos' two dogs was killed in the fire, Nicholl said.

Investigators believe furniture placed too close to a wall heater in the living room caused the blaze.

In a second fire, about 150 people who had gathered for a volleyball tournament were evacuated from the LDS Church stake center, 4845 S. Woodhaven Drive (1365 West), in Taylorsville, Tuesday night after someone apparently started a fire in a large plastic trash can in a restroom.

Smoke was coming from the front of the building when firefighters arrived, but some of the people inside had managed to extinguish the blaze with hand-held fire extinguishers, said county fire spokesman Lt. Dennis Steadman.

The smoke was extremely toxic, he said.

One 9-year-old boy who suffered minor smoke inhalation was taken to an area hospital by his parents. Battalion Chief Dave Limberg said the boy did not need emergency treatment. The fire caused about $1,500 in damage, Limberg said.

A third fire, reported at 2:02 p.m. in a 16-unit apartment complex at 2190 S. Lake St., began when clothing or some other material left underneath the water heater in apartment 13 ignited and burned through the floor to apartment 9 below.

"We had a hard time getting to the fire because it spread along the joists between the ceiling and floor of the two apartments," Nicholl said.

Eight members of the two families that lived in the apartments were moved to vacant units in the complex. No one was injured.

A fourth fire in a basement storage area of a downtown Salt Lake apartment building forced 30 or 40 people to the streets for about 45 minutes Thursday night.

The fire at the Roosevelt Apartments at 256 E. Broadway (300 South) started about 11:50 p.m. Firefighters quickly doused the flames, but the smoke was heavy and firefighters evacuated the residents, said Salt Lake Fire Battalion Chief Lamont Epperson.

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation, Epperson said.