Rice can be used in a variety of ways - from side dishes to desserts. The following tips are provided by Riviana Foods, makers of Success Rice and Success Brown Rice.
SIDE DISHES- Add slivered almonds and raisins to cooked white rice for color and flavor. Lemon and dill is another flavor combination.
- Combine dry salad dressing, Italian seasoning or soy sauce with brown rice to add flavor, but not calories.
- For an easy side dish, toss white rice with sour cream and chives, yogurt, teriyaki sauce, lemon and dill, or Parmesan cheese and peas.
- For Spanish rice, add picante sauce and chopped olives to white rice.
- For Italian salad, combine pepperoni, artichoke hearts, mozzarella cheese, olives and chilled white rice with a tomato-base dressing.
- For Waldorf salad, combine chopped green and red apples, walnuts, celery and mayonnaise with chilled white rice.
- For Oriental rice salad, combine cubed chicken, green pepper, peas and scallions with chilled white rice.
- Add your favorite spaghetti sauce and Parmesan cheese to white rice.
- For quick jambalaya, add cooked white rice to stewed tomatoes, smoked sausage and Cajun seasonings.
- Toasted pine nuts and brown rice with a dash of poultry seasoning make a quick stuffing for poultry dishes.
SNACKS AND DESSERTS
- Combine almonds, dates and honey with brown rice for a tasty snack.
- To chilled white rice add whipped cream topping, pineapple chunks and cherries.
- Stir chilled white rice into vanilla pudding. Add raisins.