Isn't the fire chief, at least, supposed to get a rest on Thanksgiving?

"That's what I thought," said South Davis Fire Chief Brent Argyle. "But we wear pagers 365 days a year and sometimes they go off."For Argyle, the beeper went off about 10 a.m., when fire crews were dispatched to the residence of Rex Nielsen, in the area of 1600 South and 700 West in Woods Cross.

It was just one of several fires - including one that sparked a major power outage in Bountiful - that kept firefighters busy and disrupted Thanksgiving dinners in Davis and Salt Lake counties.

At the Nielsen residence, a faulty furnace motor started a small fire in the furnace room, causing about $1,500 damage."It could have been more serious if they'd been asleep or away from home," Argyle said. "They don't have a smoke alarm but now they definitely see the importance of one."

Argyle's beeper went off again about 12:30 p.m.

That's when a 2,400-volt wire at the Bountiful Power Department's central substation shorted out and filled the building with smoke.

About 2,000 households - in an area bordered by 400 North and 500 South and 400 East and 500 West - were without power for at least one hour.

"Right in the middle of their Thanksgiving dinner," Argyle said.

Firefighters from South Davis and the Bountiful Fire Department ventilated the building, 198 S. 200 West, for about 30 minutes before power crews could enter to fix the lines.

Damage to the lines was estimated at $15,000, said Kevin Garlick, generation superintendent. Bountiful fired up its diesel generators at the central station and had all power up by 2:30 p.m., he said.

About 6 p.m., South Davis firefighters responded to a chimney fire near 700 East and 300 North.

Simultaneously, firefighters were extinguishing a stove fire in West Jordan that had consumed some cabinets in the kitchen of a home at 3780 W. Morland Circle (6630 South), said Jody Zur, Valley Communications Center dispatcher.

"They had minimal loss, except their turkey dinner was ruined," Zur said.

A half-hour later, Sandy crews doused a small chimney fire at 8538 S. Fayeway Drive (1175 East).