South African troops have started work on pulling out of Angola under a disengagement accord reached in Geneva last week, a defense official said on Wednesday.

"The process has started. The planning is being done right now. Our troops will be out of Angola by September 1," said the official, who declined to be named.Foreign Minister Pik Botha said on Monday that South Africa had agreed at U.S.-mediated talks in Geneva last week to begin withdrawing from Angola on Wednesday and complete the pullout by Sept. 1.