Authorities admit they're not sure what to do about an Army reservist called to active duty before he could appear in court on a burglary charge.
Victor Hale of the 419th Transportation Co. was on his way to Fort Lewis, Wash., early Monday as part of the call-up for Operation Desert Shield, just hours before he was to appear in 2nd District Court to enter a plea to the burglary charge.Family members said the Army told Hale he couldn't wait.
Defense attorney John Caine had been arranging for Hale, 19, to plead guilty and hope to receive a sentence that would permit him to leave with the 419th, part of the 96th Army Reserve Command, that day.
Caine said he didn't know Hale had left until coming to court.
Caine said his client apparently found himself in a difficult spot, faced with disobeying orders on one hand and ignoring a court date on the other.