A convicted killer arrested after a standoff with police was listed in serious condition Wednesday in LDS Hospital.

Larry Holt, 67, 959 Genessee Ave., Apt. 2, apparently cut his throat with a knife, then stabbed himself in the abdomen during a standoff at his residence Tuesday afternoon.Holt is being investigated in the assault on a 28-year-old woman, an acquaintance of his.

The drama began about 11:45 a.m. Tuesday, when the woman, with a man in her car, arrived at the man's apartment.

The man had been waving a gun at the woman during the drive, and she ran away, screaming for help as she was tackled on a lawn across the street from a grocery store.

Robert Thomas, a delivery man, came to her aid and orderedthe attacker to stop.

"She said he had a gun and was going to kill her," said Thomas, who wrestled a bundled shirt containing a gun away from the man.

The woman broke free and ran into the store, chased by the man wielding a hunting knife.

Store employees rescued the woman and tried to apprehend the man, who threatened them.

Said store manager Zane Day: "We tried to trap him, but he pulled a knife on us and said, `Get away or I'll kill you.' "

The man then walked back to his apartment, slashing the woman's car tires along the way.

For the next 90 minutes, police ordered the man to come out, but to no avail.

Shortly after 1 p.m., the man talked to a relative and indicated he had cut himself seriously.

"That's when we decided we should move in," said Lt. Norm Thompson.

Police fired five tear-gas rounds into the home, waited a few minutes, then kicked down the door and went inside.

The occupant "resisted arrest and was able to fend us off a little bit," Thompson said.

The man, arms handcuffed behind his back, was finally dragged outside and taken to LDS Hospital, suffering a slash wound to the throat and a stab wound to the abdomen, Thompson said.

According to prison records, Holt was sent to prison in August 1966 for first-degree murder. He was paroled in 1978, then served a brief prison term for a parole violation in 1979.

A neighbor who knows Holt well expressed surprise over the incident. Holt "was the kind of a person who would go out of his way to help anyone in the neighborhood," said Dennis Cowli-shaw. "Give him some dignity because he is really a hell of a nice guy."