Miss Manners would have loved it - a 2A state prep football championship game Saturday at Mountain View High where neither team acted offensively.

Beaver beat Park City 12-7 for its ninth state title - but its first at the 2A level since the school stepped up in classification two years ago.Quarterback Branden Draper connected with receiver Cody Erickson for a pair of touchdown passes - one for 12 yards after Beaver recovered a first-quarter fumbled punt and the other for 81 yards with less than two minutes to play in the game as the Beavers were nursing a 6-0 lead.

"We could have used more," said Draper of his two TD tosses, "but when it came down to it, it was enough."

Take those two passes away - plus a 75-yard fumble return for a touchdown by Park City's David Guelich on the game's final play from scrimmage - the game was a wash offensively, with the defenses seeming to dominate.

Beaver finished with fewer than 20 yards net rushing and 108 yards passing - 93 yards alone on Draper's two scoring passes to Erickson. The senior QB completed just three other passes - one to a lineman on a ricocheted catch.

And the Beavers managed just three first downs - none in the second half.

Park City gained more in total offense in a somewhat balanced attack - but the Miners, too, were guilty of not gaining enough. Park City had 77 yards rushing and 76 yards passing, with QB Matt Marriott and his receivers misfiring on a number of pass routes.

Besides several untimely turnovers, Coach Bob Burns said the Miners' passing attack fell victim to a case of cabin fever - the previous week's snowfall was good for the resorts' slopes and local economy in general in Park City, but it forced the Miners to practice inside in tighter confines for the full week.

Beaver started the game by losing a yard on three downs, with the ensuring Beaver punt brushing past Park City's Roger Osguthorpe and bounding deep into Miner territory. "Actually, he didn't touch the ball, but he thought that the officials through he touched it, so he went back after it," said Burns.

Osguthorpe lost the battle for the ball with Beaver's Ben Dalton at the PC 12-yard line. Draper threw his first TD pass to Erickson on the next play, with a botched snap costing the Beavers their PAT attempt and keeping the score at 6-0 with less than two minutes gone in the game.

Park City countered with a sustained drive from its own 20 down to the Beaver 12, but the Miners missed a field goal. From there on, the two teams combined for 10 punts, two fake punts, four turnovers and all sorts of offensive futility.

Park City was hoping to hold Beaver deep in its own territory in the final two minutes of the game, but the Beavers had other plans as Draper linked up long with Erickson for the 81-yard TD pass. "We knew it was going to open up sometime," said Beaver Coach Alan Raddon. "We just waited for it."

Another failed PAT attempt left Beaver's lead at 12-0 with 1:43 to play. Draper was looking to complete one last toss for the afternoon in joining teammates in a celebrating dumping of the water cooler over Raddon, but Park City was the one to dump some cold water on the Beavers, who were running out the clock with their substitute offensive squad - Guelich picked up a Beaver fumble and returned it 75 yards for a score with :08 to play, with Justin Christensen's PAT kick making it 12-7 to go.

However, Park City missed on an onsides-kick attempt and time expired, leaving the Miners as the 1990 runners-up with a 9-2 overall record.

After finishing 2-6 last year with a young team competing for the first time at the 2A level, Beaver ended its 1990 title season with a 9-2 record.