- Long-time Democratic lawmaker Beverly White lost her bid for re-election to Republican Merrill Nelson, an attorney from Grantsville. White was appointed to the House District 21 seat in 1971 and had won re-election every two years since.
- In Cache County, political newcomer Fred R. Hunsaker, a Republican, defeated Democrat Michael W. Baugh. The incumbent, Rep. Frank Prante, D-Logan, withdrew from the House District 4 race for medical reasons. He had been the first Democrat elected from Cache County in 32 years.6 seats switch from GOP to Democrats
- Byron F. Anderson unseated first-term legislator Doug Holmes, the Riverdale city attorney, in the House District 11 race.
- Democrat DeMont Wiberg defeated Republican Larry Peterson in the race for the House District 12 seat vacated by Speaker of the House Nolan Karras, who is retiring.
- Gale Voigt upset three-term incumbent Scott Holt, R-Syracuse, in the race for House District 14 in northern Davis County. Voigt is a union sheet-metal worker from Syracuse.
- Democrat Vernon Borgeson defeated first-term Republican incumbent Don Bush, R-Clearfield, in the House District 15 race. Borgeson is a retiree from Hill Air Force Base.
- Hugh Rush was first elected as a Democrat in 1986, but in 1989 he defected to the Republican Party. He was defeated in his first GOP attempt at re-election to the House District 51 seat as a Republican by Democrat Neal Hendrickson.
- Three-term Rep. Jed Wasden, R-Midvale, was defeated by Democrat Darrell Jorgensen in the race for House District 40.
NET CHANGE: +4 Democrats