Special volunteer awards, 10 Heritage Project awards and three honorable mention awards were recently presented by the Utah Heritage Foundation.
Judy Anderson and Terrie Sharp were presented special volunteer awards for leadership in planning and organizing the 1990 Utah Heritage Foundation Homes Tour at Fort Douglas.Heritage Project awards, with foundation officials' comments:
Mid-Mountain Lodge, Park City, (Cooper/Roberts architects and Vince Donile, owner/designer) - Listed on the National Register of Historic Places; represents one of the last remaining lodges associated with historic Park City mining activities. Moved from its original site to a nearby location, the lodge is now being used as a restaurant.
The Victorian at the Millcreek (Marcia Richards, Lorraine Livingood, developers) - An 1896 Victorian-design Ogden residence. Has been fully restored and is also being used as a restaurant.
Converse Hall, Westminster College - (Steve Crane/Valentiner Architects; Bsumek-Mu, structural engineers; Becherer-Nielsen, electrical engineers; WHW Engineers, mechanical engineers; McCullough, general contractor) - Constructed in 1906, this was Westminster College's first building. It housed the school's dormitory, administration offices, assembly hall, chemistry lab, lecture hall, classrooms and library. Designed in a highly decorative Jacobean style, the hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
271 C Street (Lynn F. Morgan, architect; Calder Kankainen-Dave Durschi, project engineers; Gerald D. Smith & Associates, mechanical engineers; Staff Sorensen Construction, construction) - Restoration of this Victorian eclectic-design dwelling "demonstrates the careful blend of historic and contemporary expressions . . . "
New Grand Hotel (Cooper/Roberts Architects; Northeast Atlantic, owners) - Restoration of this turn-of-the century hotel, a familiar Salt Lake City landmark, "not only shows the creative reuse of a historic building . . . but also innovative financial packaging." Restored in 1989, it is now used for elderly housing, with commercial spaces on the ground level.
Ephraim United Order Co-operative Mercantile Building (Cooper/
Roberts Architects, architects; Paulsen Engineering; Sanpete Trade Association; City of Ephraim) - Close to being demolished in the 1970s and early 1980s, this historic building was restored through the efforts of the city of Ephraim, its citizens and Utah Community and Economic Development Department funding. It will be used as a community meeting place and as an outlet for selling local crafts. The structure is an "excellent example of the public-private sector partnership . . . ."
Cathedral Church of St. Mark (Episcopal Diocese of Utah; Brixen & Christopher, architects; E.W. Allen & Associates, structural engineers; Heath Engineering, mechanical engineers; Key Engineering, electrical engineers; Culp Construction Co.) - In continuous use since 1870, St. Mark's is the oldest Utah cathedral. The work dealt primarily with seismic upgrading and interior renovation. "The undertaking was directed with sensitivity . . . ."
Eureka Holiday House (Ferrel and Colette Thomas) - Built originally in 1904 as an LDS meetinghouse, this building was in extremely poor condition when purchased in 1980 by the present owners. After painstaking efforts for many years, the building is now used for social gatherings.
Home Arts Building/Utah State Fairpark (Thomas Petersen Hammond & Associates, architects; Bsumek-Mu & Associates, structural engineers; WHW Engineering, mechanical engineering; Donald W. Thomas Associates, electrical engineers; Fox Construction Co.) - Restoration of this structure, built in 1930, is part of an ambitious master plan for the fairpark and is an example of "sound reasoning from both a financial and political perspective."
LDS ward meetinghouses at Beaver Dam and Portage, both in Box Elder County, and Laketown, Rich County (Cooper/Roberts Architects; Presiding Bishopric, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) - These three examples "represent an effort by the church - at both the local level and at the Presiding Bishopric - to . . . build new sensitive and compatible new construction that reflected both the spirit and fabric of the historic buildings. This direction by the church displays a successful approach and solution to a difficult design problem."
Honorable mention awards went to:
Houses owned by the late Perry Haugen. Located on Girard Avenue in Salt Lake City. (Cooper/Roberts Architects, architectural work; Mark-Bilt Construction.)
Sandy Museum (Sandy City, Cooper/Roberts Architects; GV Contracting.)
Sprague Branch, Salt Lake City Public Library (Brixen & Christopher Architects; E.W. Allen & Associates, structural engineers; Heath Engineering, mechanical engineers; Key Engineering, electrical engineers; Culp Construction Co.)