The basement of a South Salt Lake home was damaged Monday night after a stove fire sent flames and heavy smoke into the upper floor, fire officials said.

South Salt Lake Fire Chief Robert Adams said the fire was probably one of many firefighters will have during the next couple of weeks related to the frequent use of fireplaces and chimneys now that the cold weather is here to stay."As soon as we get the cold weather, people light their fireplaces. They light their furnaces and this brings some dangers," Adams said.

The fire occurred about 9:30 p.m. at 2152 S. Roberta (240 East). Damage was estimated at $1,000. No one was injured.

Adams recommended homeowners check their furnaces before turning them on and placing protective screens in front of their fireplaces.