An appellate court Friday postponed the murder trial of Marlon Brando's son Christian, amid reports that the actor's daughter is recovering from a drug overdose and has accused her father of complicity in the case.

The state 2nd District Court of Appeal agreed to indefinitely delay the trial until it can decide whether to order a lower court to submit a formal request for help from French authorities to return Cheyenne Brando from Tahiti to testify at her brother's trial.The trial had been scheduled to begin Monday with jury selection.

Prosecutors have asked that Santa Monica Superior Court Judge Robert Thomas be ordered to rule on whether that request should be issued.

Sandi Gibbons, a spokeswoman for District Attorney Ira Reiner, said that since the stay could be lifted Monday, "we will still be prepared to go into court then."

However, she said that if the appellate courts wants to review defense briefs on the issue, the trial could be delayed until January.

Christian Brando, 32, is charged in the May 16 slaying of Dag Drollet, 26, the lover of his half-sister, Cheyenne, at Marlon Brando's mountaintop estate.