KUER (FM-90.1) will celebrate Halloween Wednesday, Oct. 31, with the broadcast of "Politics Takes a Holiday" at 9 p.m.
The 30-minute stereo special features the comedy troupe "The Capitol Steps" and includes spoofs on real-life goblins, ghosts and politicians.It features such parodies as "Iraq is Robbin" (to the tune of "Rockin' Robin"), "Fifty Ways To Hide New Taxes" and "Shamlet."
The Capitol Steps is composed of 15 former or current congressional staff members. Based in Alexandria, Va., the group began performing musical satire in 1981 and have recorded eight albums. Their songs have been featured on C-Span and Public Radio's "All Things Considered" program.
- KKAT (FM-101.9) - features the "Top 12 at 12" (noon and midnight). KKAT listeners can vote for their favorite song by calling 570-KKAT or 1-800-748-KKAT. T.J. Evans takes the votes at noon and Bob Wells handles the midnight voting.
KKAT listeners can also test their trivia skills with Gentleman Jim (2-6 p.m.) on the "KKAT KAT KWIZ," weekdays at 2:45 p.m. and again at 4:45 p.m. Regular prizes are awarded to winners.
- KKAT is also once again planning to give away a $10,000 holiday shopping spree. Register at KKAT "Pop Up" locations (to be announced), by listening to the KKAT song of the day (previewed weekdays at 7:15 a.m. with "Cano and Simmons - The Morning Guys."), or by sending a postcard to KKAT with your name, age, address and phone number to: P.O. Box 45150, Salt Lake City, UT 84145.
- KKDS (AM-1060) - This new radio station for kids will premiere Monday, Oct. 29, at 5 a.m.
KRSP-AM (oldies music) is now off the air, and from now until Oct. 29, a nine-minute promotional tape, providing a preview of KDDS, will repeat continuously.
The local KKDS host is "Jazzy Jana," alias Jana Lyne. Lyne will provide local news and features from 6 a.m. until noon.
Kids network shows such as "The New Day Highway" (5-9 a.m.), "The Dragon Wagon," (9 a.m.-1 p.m.), "The Curbside Carnival," (1-5 p.m.), "The Cool Kidds Caravan" (5-9 p.m.) and "Moonbeam Music" (9 p.m.-midnight) will fill KKDS' daily programming.
"The Jungle Jamboree" will air weekends from 1-5 p.m.
- ST. GEORGE has received approval from the FCC for its third FM radio station. More details should be available shortly.
- KLCY (FM-94.1) - The station's "Classy Car" giveaway will climax Nov. 1 when it announces the winner of a 1991 Mazda Miata. Register to win at a Sizzler restaurant and listen to KLCY.
- KBYU (FM-89.1) broadcasts the Utah Symphony's concerts every Saturday at 8 p.m.
Beginning Sunday, Nov. 4, KBYU will air a new series of programs, "Autumn Festival with Michael Barone." All six programs will air on Sunday evenings through Dec. 2.
- KBYU also will air Temple Square Concerts every Sunday at 6 p.m. in November.