The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says tests show nothing wrong with a diarrhea remedy an Ogden man says burned his mouth and throat.
LeRoy Gomez, the FDA's district director in Denver, said analyses of Kaopectate samples were finished Thursday and "everything's normal." Further, authorities found no evidence the medicine was tampered with, he said.But 66-year-old John Edward Vine, who said he had taken Kaopectate for years, insisted, "I've never had something burn me like that. I thought I was going to choke to death before I got to the hospital."
Vine's wife bought the Kaopectate from a Smith's supermarket, and Vine swallowed four tablespoons Sunday morning. He said his mouth immediately started burning. The sensation grew worse, he said, causing him to gag and spit until he vomited.
Police said a doctor at St. Benedict's Hospital said Vine's mouth and throat appeared to have been burned by a caustic.
A preliminary test at the hospital showed the Kaopectate from Vine's bottle to have a pH value of 3.8 - slightly more acidic than the 4.0 to 4.4 range that Kaopectate's maker, The Upjohn Co., says is normal for the product, but still less acidic than vinegar. As acidity strengthens, pH value falls.