A chemical company employee was listed in good condition Thursday in University Hospital, where he is being treated for burns he suffered Wednesday in a nitric acid accident.

Bruce Shields, 42, suffered serious burns over 60 percent of his body when a vat containing the chemical, which had been heated to 160 degrees, poured over him, said West Valley City Fire Deputy Chief John Williams."He climbed up to check the vat, and as he was climbing down the ladder the acid solution boiled over and spilled on his back, legs and boots," Williams said.

The accident occurred at 2:43 p.m. at Johnson Matthey Inc., 4601 W. 2100 South.