One of the joys of traveling is coming home.
Reduce the risk of finding that the house has been burglarized by following these tips before leaving.- Ask a trusted neighbor to collect the mail, newspaper and deliveries and to check the house from time to time.
- Arrange to have the lawn mowed or snow shoveled.
- Put valuables and documents into a bank safety-deposit box.
- Lock all doors and windows, including those in the garage.
- Light all entries. Burglars avoid bright areas.
- Instead of leaving interior lights and appliances on all the time, set timers to simulate normal use.
- Turn down the bell on the telephone. A non-stop ringing phone tells a burglar no one is home.
- Don't store empty trash cans outside. Hide them in a locked garage or out of sight.
- Leave a car in the driveway or ask a neighbor to park there.
- Remove anything that shows names or addresses of a car that must be left at the airport.