Seven children have died in Poland after eating radioactive wild mushrooms, the official news agency PAP reported Saturday.

The report said many people suffered mushroom poisoning in the mountainous province of Nowy Sacz during the past few days.The radioactive element cesium had been found in mushrooms collected in the southern province's forest, the agency reported.

The authorities said they would announce the result of a detailed investigation Monday, PAP added.

Poland has no nuclear power stations but suffers heavily from domestic and foreign industrial pollution.