Long-awaited rain fell throughout most of northwestern Utah Thursday night and early Friday, flooding some areas, causing power outages and stalling the morning commute.

Preliminary reports indicated that between a half to three-fourths of an inch or more of rain had fallen during the night, said David M. Carpenter, forecaster at the Salt Lake office of the National Weather Service.The storm caused flooding in some places, particularly in low-lying streets and under freeway underpasses where there are drainage problems. Heavy pooling of water was reported early Friday in the intersections of 700 South and West Temple, at about 700 South and Redwood Road and at 1300 South and State Street in Salt Lake City.

Because of heavy, driving rain, motorists reported difficulty driving on Salt Lake area freeways and highways, but a Utah Highway Patrol dispatcher said no serious traffic problems were reported as of 10:15 a.m. because of the storm.

With heavy rainfall, hydroplaning is often a problem for vehicles, particularly on freeways.

Much of the Sandy and Draper areas were without power early Friday. Dave Mead, a UP&L spokesman, said a transformer malfunctioned at a substation at about 12200 South and 900 East in Draper."That is one of the key pieces of equipment that was supplying electricity to some 5,000 customers in that area, which extends from about the Point of the Mountain to about 90th South and from the foothills west to about State Street," Mead said.

Power was restored to all areas by 9:21 a.m. by rerouting power to other circuits, Mead said

By midmorning, UP&L crews had delivered a mobile transformer to the Draper substation and were working to connect the transformer.

For the opening of the deer hunt this weekend, hunters should be "happily miserable. Some places will get several inches of snow," Carpenter said.

Michael Lewis, a meteorologist at the Weather Service, said 7 inches of snow had fallen at Solitude, 5 inches at Snowbird and 2 inches at Witts Lake, 12 miles east of Heber City, as of 8 a.m. Friday.

Weather spotters along the Wasatch Front reported amounts ranging from three-quarters of an inch to an inch of rainfall. The snow level was down to about the 8,000-foot level by midmorning Friday, and Department of Transportation personnel reported light snow down to about 7,500 feet early in the morning. A Pacific cold front is expected to continue slowly eastward and will continue to produce rainfall as it moves into southern and eastern sections of the state Friday.

Lewis said. "The snow level should drop to about 6,000 feet by Friday night. However, some of the benches along the Wasatch Front could see a light dusting of snow Friday night and Saturday morning."

Weather conditions should improve Saturday with fair to partly cloudy skies Sunday. Temperatures will be in the upper 40s Friday, increasing to the lower 50s during the weekend.