A Salt Lake man accidently shot himself in the left leg while he was cleaning a .22 caliber pistol in his home Wednesday afternoon.

The victim, David Albertson, 33, 640 S. Glendale St. (1140 West), was sitting on his living room couch cleaning the revolver at approximately 5:30 p.m. when he accidently hit the trigger and shot himself."He thought the safety was on and that it wasn't loaded," said Bill Platt, Salt Lake City Fire Paramedics.

Platt said the bullet penetrated his lower left calf.

Albertson was taken to Holy Cross Hospital.