An improperly installed waterbed heater caught fire and burned a bed and a wall in an apartment complex Friday.

Salt Lake County Fire spokesman Lt. Dave Steadman said firefighters responded to the Hillrise apartment complex, 2372 E. 6895 South, after receiving calls from neighbors."It appears the fire burned for some time before anyone noticed it. Things could have been a lot worse," he said.

The blaze was fueled by heavy varnish on the waterbed and plastic ship models nearby, Steadman said.

Firefighters knocked down the apartment's front door and extinguished the fire before it spread to other units in the building.

No one was in the apartment during the blaze and no injuries were reported. Damage was estimated to be about $2,000.