Some 1,300 students and faculty of Brockbank Junior High School were evacuated briefly Monday when an eighth-grader snapped a natural-gas line, causing a science lab to fill with fumes.

Salt Lake County fire units responding to the call at 10:25 a.m., shut off the gas main and used fans to clear the building of gas. School was back in session in about 30 minutes.The 14-year-old boy was in the lab waiting for class and apparently "had to put his hands on something," said Principal Lynn Boehme.

The boy twisted the assembly and broke a three-eighths-inch diameter metal line, said science teacher Dave Janecek.

Boehme said the boy will be referred to juvenile court because of the potential danger to the student body and the disruption of class schedules.