Weber State quarterback Jamie Martin threw for three touchdowns to lead the Wildcats to a 36-34 victory over the Eastern Washington Eagles.

"Their quarterback beat us. He scrambled when he had to and made a lot of things happen. He single-handedly won the game for them," Eagles coach Dick Zornes said.The Wildcats improved their record Saturday to 4-2 overall and 3-2 in the Big Sky Conference. The Eagles fell to 3-2 for the season and 2-2 in the conference.

Martin rushed for 62 yards and completed 24 of 37 passes for 362 yards in the air.

" Our coverage broke down a lot," Zornes said. "We made some mistakes at the end."

The Eagles gave up two interceptions in the fourth quarter. And Weber State senior defensive tackle Dave Planiuk blocked a Jason Cromer punt through the back of the end zone to give the Wildcats the margin of victory with 5:59 left in the game.

Zornes gave credit to Weber State.

"This is an awfully good football team. They're the best offensive football team we've played in a couple of years," he said.

The blocked punt was one of several unusual plays in the game, which was Eastern's homecoming.

An Eastern field goal was blocked but caught by Eagles center Tim Trout in the end zone for a touchdown.

On Weber State's next possession running back Gene Ethridge scored on a 2-yard run and the Wildcats attempted a 2-point conversion. Eastern cornerback Jackie Kellogg intercepted on the 10 and ran 90 yards for 2 points for the Eagles.

After a scoreless first quarter, both teams struck fast and often in the closing minutes of the half.

Eastern opened the scoring on a Harold Wright 3-yard run with 5:11 remaining.

Weber State came back to take an 8-7 lead on a 4-yard pass from Martin to tight end Trevor Shaw with 2:58 on the clock. Martin hit halfback Rick Justice for the conversion.

One minute later Wright scored again for the Eagles on an 8-yard run. Quarterback Scott Stuart hit Tony Brooks for the 2-point conversion to give Eastern a 15-8 lead.

Martin brought the Wildcats back with a 20-yard scoring pass to split end Jon Fuller with 1:13 remaining. The conversion failed.

Cromer added a field goal to make it 18-14 for the Eagles at the half.

Weber state scored back-to-back touchdowns to open the third quarter and take a 28-18 lead. Martin hit shaw with a 13-yard pass and Ethridge scored from 2 yards out.

Then Trout caught the blocked field goal for the Eagles score. On the following possession Weber State scored the touchdown but the Eastern defense scored the conversion.

Eastern tied the score with 11:29 remaining on a 4-yard pass from Stuart to tight end Tony Lenseigne. Cromer added the extra point for a tie.

Then Weber State blocked the punt for the safety that won the game.