U.S. and Filipino negotiators unexpectedly resumed talks Tuesday on the status of American military bases, a week after the negotiations broke down in a disagreement over compensation.

Members of the two panels refused to talk to reporters as they entered the Department of Foreign Affairs for the afternoon session.But a Filipino source close to the talks said the Philippine panel expected the Americans to make a new offer on compensation for use of the six installations, including Clark Air Base and the Subic Bay naval base. Clark and Subic are the largest U.S. military bases outside the United States.

Earlier Tuesday, Foreign Secretary Raul Manglapus announced the resumption of talks but would not tell reporters if any significant breakthrough had been made. He said only that "the situation seems to warrant a resumption of the talks."

Manglapus, the chief Philippine negotiator, broke off the talks one week ago over what he described as American inflexibility on the amount of compensation.

The United States currently pays the Philippines $180 million annually in exchange for the bases.

Sources close to the Philippine panel said the Filipinos wanted the amount raised to $1.2 billion but the Americans refused.