A teenage boy who brought his beloved dog in for a rabies vaccination watched as his pet was mistakenly put to sleep.

"It was a real tragedy, very serious," said Dr. Keith Sultemeier, the veterinarian who operates the clinic in Azle, near Fort Worth.Fifteen-year-old Tony McCarty and his mother brought the dog, a 21/2-year-old pit bull-chow mixbreed named Runt, into the clinic Thursday, about the same time a female pit bull-chow mix was brought in for euthanasia, Sultemeier said. "The lady and her son came in with a dog for a fairly straightforward vaccination and walked out without the dog. We are at fault," the veterinarian said.

The boy was with Runt when the dog got the lethal injection instead of the rabies shot. To make up for the error, Sultemeier bought McCarty a full-blooded chow puppy.

"I don't see any reason to ruin his practice over this," she said. "He's gotten us a new dog and said he will take steps - whatever that means - to make sure it doesn't happen again and I believe he will."