Two names have been added and one corrected on the memorial honoring the county's residents killed in the Vietnam War.

The names of Kenneth L. Jones and Allen D. Udink were added to the memorial, which was built and dedicated two years ago, and the spelling on the name of Rodney Birdell Yardley was corrected on the memorial's bronze plaque. Yardley's name was incorrectly listed as Robert Yardley.The memorial, on the Davis County Courthouse lawn, was dedicated July 4, 1986, and at that time it listed 29 county residents killed in the war. The memorial was an Eagle Scout project taken on by three Bountiful scouts: Scott Blake, Jeremy Leavitt and Matthew Racker.

The three raised more than $5,000 in contributions from various city councils and service clubs in the county and, along with their families, built and landscaped the memorial at the courthouse.

Jones, a Bountiful resident, was killed Sept. 18, 1971, at the age of 19 in a landmine explosion. He was a rifleman with the 101st Airborne Division of the U.S. Army. Jones was buried Sept. 30, 1971.

His mother, Mrs. Walta Jones, still lives at 25 West 12th South in Bountiful.

Udink, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Udink, 1627 N. 350 West, Sunset, was 22 years old when he was wounded in Vietnam in May 1970. A landmine explosion resulted in the loss of both legs and other severe injuries.

Udink, also an Army rifleman, spent two months in a Saigon hospital and then was transferred to an Army hospital in San Francisco, where he died of meningitis in 1971.

The Army initially ruled Udink's death did not result from his wounds. His family discovered in 1987 that their son's name was not included on the Vietnam War Memorial in either Washington, D.C., or Davis County.

After lining up help from state veterans groups and Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, the Udinks persuaded the Army to re-examine their son's file. In February 1987, the family was notified Allen D. Udink's name would be inscribed alongside the 58,000 others on the Washington memorial.

And, on July 21, the family learned his name would also be added to the county's memorial.