A Salt Lake boy was injured Tuesday while playing with an explosive he found leftover from the Liberty Park fireworks display.
The boy, 11, and his friend, 10, found several unspent explosives at the Central City baseball field, across the street from Liberty Park. The devices, which had been part of the Days of '47 fireworks display Monday night, were scattered all over the park, according to a police report.The boys took the devices home. The 11-year-old lit one and threw it. It exploded about 12 inches from his left hand, injuring the index finger badly, the report said.
The victim was treated at Primary Children's Medical Center, then later released.