A woman whose husband and 18-year-old son have been missing with their light plane says she has spent the past week waiting by the telephone.

"I keep thinking they're going to call, say, `Come and spend the weekend and get away from all this,' " said Karen Flake.Her husband, 53-year-old Sherman Flake, and their son, Scott, were last seen July 13 on a road near Fillmore when they gassed up their single-engine plane with automotive fuel at a convenience store.

The two were on a flight from Oregon via Idaho to Chandler.

Neither has been heard from since, and a continuing massive search of rugged terrain in southern Utah and northern Arizona has turned up no trace of the plane.

The 50-year-old woman said she has remained "tremendously optimistic" but acknowledged, "It's been a long time now. He's in over his head. I'm almost positive he's down in a wooded area, and they just can't see him."

She has had hundreds of calls from family, friends and authorities involved in the search. None had the information she wanted.

"Every telephone call may be the one I'm waiting for," Mrs. Flake said. "Every single one."

Flake has been a pilot for more than 30 years, so his wife wasn't overly worried when told the plane was missing. She figured he could handle any problems.

"It was out of human control if he's gone down," she said. "I know he can set that plane on a postage stamp even without the engine, given any chance at all."

Mrs. Flake said her husband has flown the area hundreds of times, and he likes to take different routes to enjoy the scenery.

"They keep asking me what might he have done, and I said what he might have done is something he's never done before," she said.

The plane was equipped with emergency supplies, and Mrs. Flake said her husband and son were in top physical condition. The pair stopped in Burley, Idaho, July 12 and spent the night.

Mrs. Flake said her religious faith helped her deal with the uncertainty.

"There's no way I can turn my brain off," she said. "I feel comfortable and calm that all is well. I don't have any assurances that they're not gone, but I'm able to cope with whatever the outcome. I keep thinking they're going to call, say, `Come and spend the weekend and get away from all this.' "